Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Shopping Goals: November 2018


Okay, so the month is nearly half over before I could get around to this.  With the family being so sick since before November started and such, I'm definitely cutting myself a break for the reduced blogging schedule of late.  HOPEFULLY things start to get better, quiet down and improve around here.  It'd be wonderful.

When it comes to shopping goals, my shopping list has gotten longer and longer as the month as gone on.  Not ideal as the next paycheck the mortgage comes out of and I also am going to have to pick up the rest of the needs for Thanksgiving out of that paycheck as well (we get paid this week).  Unforeseen expenses have popped up (per usual, it seems) so money is going to be tight until further notice, so I'm going to be working on getting things checked off the list for as cheap as I can get it.

So far I already have a turkey in the freezer for Thanksgiving, cranberries and a couple of other small items, but still need to get a decent amount of stuff.  Thankful I have the turkey done already, though :).

So, here we go.  This month's shopping goals.

Regular Stores:

  • Seedless navel oranges (2)
  • Potatoes
  • Herbs (rosemary, sage, thyme)
  • Frozen green beans
  • Dried cranberries
  • Instant mashed potatoes (I have a free Idohoan pouch waiting at Fred Meyer from Freebie Friday, so I wan to go and get that...the daughter doesn't like home made mashed potatoes).
  • Cream Cheese
  • Parmesan Cheese
  • American Cheese
  • Ketchup
  • Garlic
  • Onion Powder (used up the rest of mine)
  • Cheyenne pepper (once again, completely out)
  • Ice melt (we got like 1/2 an inch of freezing rain Sunday, so I used up the rest of our rock salt on the driveway)
  • Scotch Tape (for wrapping presents and putting them under the tree when I set it up later in the month...the tape has "mysteriously" disappeared and I'm pretty certain my daughter was involved with all of the craft things and such that suddenly popped up around her room)
  • Christmas sprinkles (I'm going to need to make a double batch of sugar cookies this year as both kids have decided they like sugar cookies now on top of my husband)


Wanted, but not needed items:

  • Additional turkey for freezer (turkeys are just so cheap this time of year that I would like to get another turkey to cut up and put into the freezer for use later or something)
  • Additional cranberries for freezer (I like to keep them around for canning cranberry sauce, to make cranberry orange bread and other uses...I'm a cranberry fan :)
  • Beef Roast (for Christmas dinner...waiting for a super sale on that.  If we don't get a really good sale on them I'll just try to figure out what the family might like instead)


And there you go folks.  My shopping goals for the month.  How about you?  What do you need to get this month?

9 comments:

  1. I'll be watching for cranberry markdowns as well. I usually grab a few bags and stuff them in the freezer for the smoothie kick I go on every winter (which is where I blow through all that fruit I chopped and froze during the spring and summer months). Cranberries add a really nice zing to a smoothie (too many, though, and it gets sour).

    I need carrots and smoked paprika, and I'll watch for good sales on all kinds of peppers so I can chop and freeze more of them. I'm really not in need of a TON of stuff right now. Parmesan cheese would be nice, but I never seem to find a decent sale on that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful as I am sure you are but I wanted to use sprinkles for my dd graduation cookies and they were processed around tree nuts. My granddaughter is allergic to nuts so made some without for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betty Crocker sprinkles are safe for tree nut and peanut allergies. Thank goodness as Alvah has decided they are now a food group lol!

      Delete
  3. I actually had some good luck this morning with 50% off meat (some stores mark things 50% off when it's supposed to be used that day) - it's perfectly fine for a few more days but usually I get it into the freezer. Today I got chicken thighs, 2 different types of sausages (the large ones we call bangers), peameal (what you call Canadian bacon) and breaded veal schnitzel slices. All in all, 27 meals for $18 so I'm happy! Came home, opened up the packs and repackaged into smaller servings and into the freezer! I got all that on an early morning run. I'm going to head back there tonight at around 9:15 (after the ESL class I teach) to look for ground meat and perhaps some stewing meat - that's really all I need and I'll be playing tetris with the containers in my freezer to make it fit! But that means that I won't need to do any meat shopping through to the New Year except for some turkey & ham near to Christmas.
    I do need some fruit & veg and some more baking supplies so that is what is on the list for the rest of November.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I sure hope you guys start feeling better soon! I feel like just about as soon as we get rid of it barely a week goes past and someone has it again.

    We had most everything for thanksgiving, but nothing was on sale, the sweet potatoes are usually cheap, but nope, regular price. My son doesn't like real mashed either, and instead of pie, which he won't eat, I planned as tret to buy some mini peanut safe cupcakes at Walmart but they had those big Lofthouse style iced sugr cookies for $2 instead of $4, so he asked for those. That saved $2 anyway!!

    I'm feeling happy because I'm about 2/3 done with my Christmas shopping. I've been able to find good deals on almost everything I wanted to get people so not myON budget I'm slightly under which means that when it's time to ship a lot of these presents I won't be hurting as badly!!

    I'm sending best wishes for everyone to make a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know Fred Meyers (In my part of Oregon) has a deal where you buy $50 worth of groceries and get a turkey for 47c/lb (or around there). If you bought $150 worth, you could have the turkey for free. I'd way rather have another turkey or two for $10 or less than have one free one. I don't know what deal they are offering there, but it would at least be worth checking out if you want extra turkey. You could likely hit the $50 mark just with your son's preferred foods and a few cranberries. It's so easy to do:( I'm going to check both Safeway and Fred Meyers ads in the morning and see what they are offering in this final week before the holiday.

    I also usually buy several hams at this time of year. I finally found some for $1.49/lb today and got 2 small ones. Last year, they were much cheaper per pound, so I'm holding off to see if I get any for a lower price as time passes. I'd really like 2 more, at least, because my nephew and nieces really, really like ham so we will have it lots when they come over if I have some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup they have that deal at both Fred Meyer and Carrs/Safeway here, although ours is like .49 lb for 50.00 being spent. I definitely want to take advantage of that it I can. The sales this week are awesome (just checked the weekly ads), so I'm actually kind of excited to go shopping :).

      Delete
    2. Yes, our sales are super good, as well. They often are, so I have been saving my Ibotta rebates to spend this month, and also my Bottle Drop ,money. Then, both my Mom and sister gave me some money to spend toward Thanksgiving things, as I am hosting this year. So, today I got another turkey at Fred Meyers since I bought the paper goods for the big day, plus a bunch of groceries that were great sales. Now, Safeway on Friday, as they have ham for $1.29. That will leave me broke, but very stocked up!

      Good luck getting good deals and fresh produce up there.

      Delete
  6. So, did you meet your November shopping goals? :D

    ReplyDelete