Thursday, April 13, 2023

Thrifty Thursday: Thrift Store Finds


For the last bit, I really haven't found much at the used stores.  My husband has had much better luck finding tools and things while me, who really is just looking for certain things in the kitchen and all, hasn't found a whole lot.  I did, however, find these at Value Village last week and was really thrilled to find them, so I thought I'd share.

I was thrilled when I saw the cornflower blue pattern on the casserole dishes and quickly snagged them as I'm still trying to rebuild a collection of the dishes since the earthquake years ago.  After carrying them for a few minutes, I was kind of surprised at their heft and that they more resembled stone ware types of items instead of the Corelle/Corningware I was used to feeling with that pattern on them.  I flipped them over, wondering if I had actually picked up some weird knock off Corelle and was really surprised when I saw that the casserole dishes were in fact special edition casserole dishes to celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the brand.  So, double score!  Especially since, surprisingly, I didn't pay much for them (1.99 for the small one and 3.99 for the large one), a rare thing for Value Village.  

I've actually already used the smaller casserole to make potatoes au gratin, and I loved the pretty presentation it made.  Hopefully these hold up.  Not being made of traditional Corelle material, I do worry that they are going to chip and die on me, but we'll see how it goes.

How about you?  Found anything good at the used stores of late?

4 comments:

  1. Glad you found something you enjoy. I got discouraged going to thrift stores as I never seem to find anything anymore. However, we did go to a basement sale last week where I got plain grapevine wreaths for $1 each and I got four of them. All of my wreaths are getting a little “tired” for my front door, so I’d like to make fresh ones for each season with artificial flowers & supplies I already have. Hobby Lobby is just usually pricy on all their supplies like wreaths.
    I enjoyed your previous post with all your creative things you’ve been cooking. It’s wonderful that your family is willing to try so many diversified recipes.
    Hope all of you are well now.
    Vicky in Ky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Score! Especially at that price. I see the cornflower blue pattern here (suburban Chicago) fairly frequently, but have no space to store Corelle, and I'm a 1-person household, so would only utilize the smaller ones. I've gotten a couple of good buys in recent weeks. 1) a cut glass (crystal?) bowl that I used for serving potato salad during our St. Patrick's Day family party @ $3.99. It wasn't Waterford, but it added a touch of class to our dining table. 2) a Scentsy plug-in wax warmer for $1.99. 3) several canning jars in unique sizes and shapes for $0.99 each. One was a wide-mount quart jar (I'm only finding regular mouth quarts), 2 @ 24 oz tall jars with rings, and 1 unique-shapped 8-oz jar (was told it's an Oster jar) with ring. Office supplies abound in our thrift stores, and I've picked up a notebook, graph paper, and a few other items, none more than $0.99. I've found myself stopping in there more often, in the event that they have something on my "wants" and "needs" lists, to avoid paying full price. That's unfortunate for the department and "big box" stores in my area. My last visit to Kohl's was before Christmas, and they were my go-to for household goods.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great find! I haven't found any good stuff lately. We did go to our very first yard sale of the year, and my husband found some fishing sinkers. He thought he did good paying $2 for a bunch of them. lol

    ReplyDelete