Friday, January 31, 2020

Frugal Friday: Money Saving Weekly Recap


Thanks for the e-mails and things asking how I was doing with my cold.  I'm on the mend, I hope.  I still have a residual cough, but I finally have my voice back for the most part and the cough is coming and going instead of just being there all the time, so that is something good to report.

I have to say that when it came to money saving things that happened this week...eh it was a mixed bag.  I spent more money than I would have liked to have spent, but I did it with the plan that I can pay back said money when our tax return comes in, so while it hurts now, it'll pay off in the end.  I hope *laugh*.

So, let's get to the few money saving things that happened this week.

1.  I got some freebies this week!  I had a coupon that I could load to my Carrs card for a free cauliflower crust gluten free pizza and I was able to redeem it when I went shopping.  I also used 1 grocery reward before the rewards changed for February to get a free container of ice cream and I redeemed that as well (seen up top).

2.  I was able to order some female undergarments from Amazon for really cheap this week, which was great because they were needed :).

3.  A friend of mine sent me a nice little package with some embroidery floss and an embroidery hoop that she wasn't going to use.  It was a nice thing to find in a week that got pretty hectic.

4.  My mom sent me a packet of coupons in the mail and I was able to use a couple of those when I went shopping, which was a couple pennies saved.

5.  I found something at the used store that I was thrilled to find.  I'm a Downton Abbey nerd and I have wanted a jam/jelly serving jar since I saw the first episodes a few years back.  I found a few on Amazon, but they wanted nearly 20.00 for them and I just didn't want a serving jar THAT much to spend that kind of money.  So,  I just put them in my shopping cart, saved them for later, and then just kept looking around the used stores to see if I could find something similar to use to serve jam, jelly, honey or the like when I wanted to do a fancy type of breakfast for fun.  

Oddly enough I was at the used store looking for picture frames.  I had started to clean out my desk looking for my art pen (long story *laugh*) and I knew it was in the desk.  While I was at it I started to organize things and put them into file folders since I have this thing called a "filing cabinet" now.  While I was doing that I found a ton of old photos from when the kids were younger, when my husband and I were younger, etc and I thought it would be nice to be able to put them up in some nice frames on the gallery wall I have made over the years.  

I didn't find much in the way of frames, but we cruised through the rest of the used store while we were there (we were wasting time until my daughter got out of dyslexia therapy) and I saw it.  Sitting on a shelf with a bunch of other decorative glassware.  And I thought to myself, "Nah, that can't be what I think it is."  I decided to pick it up and be disappointed, so I reached over and picked it up and immediately saw the slot that had been built into the jar to fit a spoon and was thrilled and amazed that I'd actually FOUND a jam/jelly serving jar!  At a used store!  For 1.99!!!  And it was in great shape *mutters under breath, "Even after I accidentally dropped the lid as soon as I decided to buy it"* and everything!  So, the jar is now cleaned up, has a 

6.  I finally started getting back to making menu plans again which is really nice being able to know what I needed to pull out to make dinner any given night.  With how our schedule has been of late and how crazy life has been, this has been a real God send.

And yeah, I know the list is short, but that's really all I have to report at the moment.  How about you all?  Anything neat to report on the money saving front?

1 comment:

  1. Nothing to exciting for us. My youngest just got over a mimic flu, so I admit, overspent on safe foods for him. Have had some extreme stress as I realized we were advised to avoid coconut, but it's in the hot chocolate he occasionally drinks, and in every powdered creamer to try and DIY some. My kids don't have school tomorrow. So really hoping to get a bunch of stuff done around the house. Would love to get 10 more boxes of stuff for an upcoming yard sale in a few months. Glad to hear that you are on the way. I'm glad you are on the mend and hope you don't rebound.

    ReplyDelete