Thursday, October 18, 2018

Shopping Goals: October 2018


Yeegads this is late!  I was kind of hoping to have this posted about two weeks ago, but life has been so hectic I just haven't been able to find the time or energy to do much other than what needs to be done.

Anyway, back to shopping goals.  At the moment we only have one more package to pick up from the postal annex and then everything should be in from Amazon.  So far the only supremely epic screw up on their part was the lemon bar mix, so at least that's a positive.  Since the box I have to pick up at the postal annex has a big bottle of olive oil in it...I'm nervous, let's just put it that way.  Hopefully they packaged the box well.  My faith in their ability to package things logically is shot at this point, but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

I was hoping to pick up the package yesterday after getting the son to therapy and then dropping him off at school, but instead I ended up with both kids home sick, and I mean sick.  Alvah picked up a stomach bug and was plain miserable all day while I followed him around with a bucket.  I woke Armina up to get ready for school yesterday and realized her eye was swelling up on her.  We've had this happen in the past and all we have been able to get is that an undetermined allergy causes it to happen as it is completely random when it happens.  Her eyelid will start to swell and if you don't catch it in time her eyes will swell shut on her in record time.  I immediately got her some Zyrtec and while in the past that worked to take care of the problem, this time it didn't.  I ended up having to give her another dose of Zyrtec at night and Benadryl every four hours on top of that to stop the swelling .  I am playing it by ear today to see how she does and if she is still having major problems I'm taking her to the doctor to see if we need to get her on a different type of medication.  Hoping she's better today as on top of the eye thing she's gone full neurotic about missing school two days in a row and is obsessing about make up work and things, so she's throwing her stomach condition into a tizzy as well.  This on top of me trying to get over this virus completely and as families go we're a hot mess this week.  Sigh.

So, let's get to the shopping list for this month.  We've still got a bit more to get that I'm figuring on picking up slowly as by this point both the husband and I are completely burned out on spending money and really just want to get back to saving money versus spending it.

So, onto the "master list".

Carrs
  • 20 boxes angel hair pasta (got these on a personalized price of .69 per box at Carrs)
  • 12 cans of Hunt's tomato sauce .  I got this on top of what I bought previously from Amazon as I'm finding we are eating spaghetti about once every two weeks minimum, so I wanted to get some tomato sauce ahead...I actually need to get some more cans to have enough to last us for all the pasta I make anymore, but this was a decent start.
  • 20 lbs sugar (got this on a personalized price and was able to get it for 11.00 and some change for 20 lbs, which was cheaper than going to Three Bears)
  • 50 lbs medium grain rice (actually about the same price as I would have spent at Three Bears, but I got fuel rewards for buying it there, which made it worth it)
  • Canned peaches, 12 cans (.89 per can with a personalized price)
  • Canned pineapple, 2 of each type (crushed, chunk...only got one as that was what they had, and rings).  .89 each with personalized price.
  • Bulk bags of apples, 3 (had a personalized price on them for 4.12 per bag.  Even found Honeycrisp is in the bulk bags right now so was able to get Armina some small ones to snack on for about 2.00 per lb.  Not bad).  I would still like to pick up more apples and just kind of stock up the one drawer in the fridge with apples as we love them around here, but we'll see how money, and sales, go.
  • Freezer Bags, 4 boxes (Carrs brand bags come in a package of 28 bags and were on sale for 1.99 per box, max of four.  The bags are good quality as well, so totally worth getting them cheaper than buying the bulk box of Ziploc freezer bags at Three Bears).
  • Generic Windex refill bottles on sale B1G1.  Got 2.
  • Halloween Candy (got Tootsie pops and Starburst so far.  Going to Fred Meyer for the rest, however as they are a lot cheaper price-wise on candy)
  • Vitamins (were on sale B1G1 on certain brands, so were able to stock up for decently cheap...for vitamins anyway)
  • Beef.  This is an ongoing quest to find it cheap enough to make it worth buying over the course of the month.  We were able to get a container of hamburger (on reduced 30% off, so worked out to be 3.00 per lb about after sale and reduction), a package of thin cut steaks (7.00 for three steaks) and a few London Broil roasts (those were on sale B1G1 last week at Carrs).
  • Chocolate Chips, 6 bags (they sell peanut free certified ones)
  • Halloween Pumpkin

Fred Meyer (still need to get)
  • Mop
  • Broom
  • Scrub Bucket

Three Bears (still haven't gone to get this stuff yet)
  • 2 Gallons Distilled White Vinegar (these are usually sold in a box of 2 gallon jugs for about 5.00 and some change)
  • 2 Gallons Apple Cider Vinegar (same as the distilled white vinegar)
  • Hershey Chocolate Bars (for husband's acid reflux)
  • Maple Syrup, one jug

Amazon.com (no links as that would take FOREVER for me to do)
  • Junket Ice Cream mixes (I got 2 strawberry, two chocolate and two vanilla in a variety pack.  They are safe for the son's peanut allergy.  Buying flavored ice cream that is safe for him is pretty much impossible, so I was thrilled to find it)
  • Garlic Willow Ear Oil (bought on a recommend from Brandy at the Prudent Homemaker in that it has helped keep her kids out of the doctor's numerous times by curing ear infections)
  • Salt Free Mustard (we bought one to try out)
  • Bottle Brushes (desperately needed them and they were on the one place I could find them)
  • Curel Itch Defense Lotion (squeeze container to put in back packs and things)
  • Kindle Charging Cord, braided cord, 6 ft length, 2 pack (the son wrecked my charging cord, so this was definitely on the "need" list)
  • Black Cannon Printer Cartridge (needed this for the upcoming TEFRA novel I get to fill out and send back to our care coordinator).
  • Coffee, 3 containers (I got two bags of New England Coffee company Breakfast Blend coffee in big bags for 7.00 per bag and then I got a big container of Chock Full of Nuts coffee for 8.00 and some change after a coupon and the Subscribe and Save discount)
  • Pioneer Baking Mix, 40 oz boxes, pack of 10 (this is basically Bisquick, but made in America by a small mill outfit and it is cholesterol free, so I was sold on it with that alone.  It's a LOT of baking mix, though, so I'm definitely going to be making more biscuits and things in the coming year :)
  • Cheetos, small packages, pack of 40 (for the son's lunches)
  • Olive Oil, 68 fl. oz
  • Crest Toothpaste (3 packs), total of 3 for a total of 9 tubes of toothpaste.  Hopefully this will last us a while as the son loves to get into the toothpaste and while I have some sample sized toothpastes, we were completely out of the large tubes.
  • Children's Chewable Ibuprofen, 2 boxes (they have orange flavor available, which my son takes a LOT easier than trying to get other Ibuprofen down him).
  • Cascade dishwasher detergent pods (way cheaper through Amazon than the store)
  • Stayfree pads, 2 types (these are no longer available on Subscribe and Save, so I'm glad I got them when I had the chance as it was WAY cheaper buying them that way.  This will hopefully be enough pads to last me quite a while)
  • Hormel canned turkey, 12 cans (way cheaper than buying it at the store)
  • Hormel canned chicken breast, no salt added, 12 cans (again, way cheaper than the stores)
  • Afresh Dishwasher Cleaner, 6 tabs
And there you go folks.  My "basic" shopping list for this month.  Believe it or not this was on top of our regular shopping we had to do.  It's been so long since we had money to spend that it felt good to add to our stockpile by even a little bit.

How about you all?  Having to buy things this month?

4 comments:

  1. Whew, that's a list!

    I've got a few things that need stocking up. I did add a giant jar of peanut butter (which I use for baking) a 50lb bag of flour, and a bulk bag of cocoa. GFS sells giant containers of Smoked Paprika, which I use a lot of, for $16, and it's cheaper to buy it that way than by the tiny container for $6, so I'm going to have to figure out how to work that in the budget. I need to find a bulk source of oatmeal, too, and more chocolate chips wouldn't hurt. I feel like I'm forgetting something- I have a list in the kitchen for things I'm looking out for, but mostly we're good at this point. Maybe more frozen cauliflower, if I can find a good price. :)

    I hope you all feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO understand buying different things when you get a great price! Since we have a son downstate from us, when we visit, I always buy food at his super cheap store. A lot of things are short dated but I don’t care. I came home with (frozen) lunch meat and veggie burgers, 1.00 cereal, 1.00 snack bars and about a dozen books for the grandchildren that i’ll put away for gifts. So happy with all the deals I got!
    You did awesome! Hope your children feel better, soon! You, too!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think there is something about fall that makes me want to stock up, even more than usual!

    Today, we needed to do an errand near where we used to live, so after the errand, we drove home past an old favorite fruit/vegetable stand we used to shop at. We really stocked up on cauliflower (I ended up freezing 16 quarts tonight), some garlic, a pumpkin for our daughter, hot peppers I need for my green Chile verde sauce I want to make, 25 lbs fresh red potatoes, and 25 pounds onions (since we have already used almost every single onion I grew in the garden-amazing because I grew a LOT!). We had to stop at a second stand to get the rest of the cauliflower as we took what they had at the first place. There, my husband picked up mushrooms, lettuce and the remaining cauliflower we needed. Between both places, he told me we hit around $50.

    This week, my grocery money has gone for an Azure Standard order, so lots of bulk things like 10 pounds of brown rice fettuccine, and other pastas. We just didn't need many regular things, so stocked up on the basics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Garlic Willow Ear Oil caught my attention. I'm going to have to look into that for my son! I was hoping to get by with not spending much this month but then we came home from an out of town wedding over the weekend and discovered our water heater was leaking. So a new water heater it was. We made a mad dash to Menards last night and the husband got the old one out and the new one in and running so we had hot water for showers this morning. It's a blessing to have a handy husband. And there was an 11% rebate on everything going on at the store so that was a plus! Hope you all get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete