Friday, June 9, 2017

What's For Dinner: This Week's Menu

Well, better late than never on the menu plan this week.  It's kind of been an odd and busy week, so planning the menu just kind of flew out the proverbial window until I looked at the calendar this morning and thought, "Oh, THAT'S why I've been doing the menu on the fly the last couple of days".  Yup, that's me.  So together it's not even funny.

I'll get into my week more in the Frugal Friday recap.  For now let's focus on food.

Currently there is a 10 lb log of frozen hamburger defrosting in my fridge.  I bought it frozen from Three Bears last year and it's just been sitting in the freezer because, while I got it super cheap, I was like, "Man, what am I going to do with 10 lbs of hamburger?"  Because I really don't have a choice but to defrost the entire thing at once.  I think I finally came up with a good plan, so I am going to be processing that this weekend on top of doing lots of baking and reorganizing on the food and freezer front.  I'm kind of looking forward to it.  I'm a person who really does LIKE to be organized, but life usually gets in the way of me getting it to work too well.

So, anyway, past the huge amount of hamburger that I have managed to creatively stuck into the fridge to defrost (since it's like 2' long), let's get to the menu plan for the week!
Wednesday:  Left over stuffed pork roulade (fancy name for "pork roll"...seen up top after a few pieces had been eaten by the daughter *laugh*) with applesauce (from pantry)

Thursday:  Leftover pork roulade (I had a terrible headache last night, so leftovers were, once again, on the menu.  It was my husband's idea...I'm glad he really liked the pork roll :).

Friday:  Waffles, bacon, fruit cocktail

Saturday:  Hamburgers on home made buns, oven fries (trying out and seeing if red potatoes make good oven fries...we shall see!)

Sunday:  Beef pies with apple pie for dessert (it's "Pie-a-palooza" night ;).  This is the first day of my husband's new shift (yay pay increase!) so I want to make sure he's got something easy to eat on the go in case he's really busy.

Monday:  Chicken noodle soup

Tuesday:  Ham and cheese croissants (I got four croissants from the food pantry, so I figured it's be a good chance to use them), fruit cocktail

Breakfasts:  English muffins (from freezer), toast, cereal (from pantry), oatmeal, muffins (to make), eggs and bacon.

Snacks:  Boiled eggs, cantaloupe (was also on sale for .99 each last week, so I grabbed one when I got the peaches, cut it up and placed it in the fridge), yogurt and jam, cookies (to make) and milk.

So, there it is.  Our menu, such as it is, for this week.  How about you?  Got anything yummy you are making this week?

6 comments:

  1. I love having cooked ground beef in the freezer. I use it for meat sauce with pasta, sloppy joes, chilli. Ive even just put some on a bun with catsup/mayo and a slice of cheese. Enjoy your meat this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, other than burgers just cooking it was my "master plan" lol! That way I can make it into tacos, sloppy joes, risolles or whatever. Seems like a good idea. Thanks for reinforcing it :).

      Delete
  2. You can also cook the burger in the crockpot if you don't want to stand and cook 10lbs on th stove! Just look on line fir directions. I love having frozen cooked burger in the freezer to pull out for sloppy jokes, spaghetti and tacos!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got it done! After you spend a couple of afternoons canning, suddenly cooking ten pounds of burger on the stove doesn't seem to take as long as it used to *laugh*. I'm just waiting for it to cool and then I'll separate it into 1 lb packages and stick them in the freezer. Yay for easy dinners!

      Delete
  3. When I buy a long roll often pounds of frozen ground beef on sale, I ask the meat dept. to cut it into pieces (usually 8 - 10 pieces). Then I can put it into ziplock bags in the freezer and take out smaller amounts to use at a time. Most grocery stores will do this free of charge for you. Hope this idea helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow. I had no idea that they would cut frozen meat for you. I'm definitely going to ask next time. Thanks!

      Delete