Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Monthly Goals Update and This Week's Goals

Geez.  I just realized that it's Tuesday, my daughter's birthday is next week, and things have been so crazy around here that I haven't even started on her birthday gift yet.  Luckily, I talked to her about it and explained I might not get her pillow done on time an she said it was okay, so if I end up being a couple of weeks late at least she understands. 

When it comes to goals so far this month...well not many of them have gotten done, unfortunately.  It's just one of those months.  I did get some knitting projects broken down and re-wound into good old fashioned yarn balls again (seen up top in all of it's "not quite yarn balls" glory).  I think when it comes to yarn for baby projects, I am going to knit some scarves and things out of the yarn (it is soft and warm) and I'll donate it them to some of the "share the warmth" programs at the beginning of next winter (scarves are the one thing I can knit well *laugh*).  We have enough kids that don't get the proper winter gear at home for recess that if I can help someone stay warm, I'll definitely do what I can.

But, yeah, nothing on my goals list for this month has gotten done, really, other than I cling to the optimism that this year is going to be a good year, no matter what.  I might be crazy, but it does at least help to lighten my mood and look to the future with hope instead of dreading one day at a time or something :).

I was up at two in the morning last week with my son and was stressing about making money go as far as I needed it to and finally came to a few conclusions.  One:  The one chunk of dental bills I'm stressing about paying off with the tax return isn't due till closer to the end of the year.  Two:  Not having money in savings was going to kill me with stress.  Three:  We have a lot of expenses that we are going to have to pay for coming up here (gutters, sewer needing maintenance, etc) and the only way I can save money is to have money in the bank to build up from to get those jobs done.  So, I quickly did the math and figured out if I can come up with double payments on the care credit every month here that the card should be about paid off by the time the thing needs to be paid off, so I'm going to try and do that instead and just try to keep money in the bank as long as possible for the sake of something happening (like car repairs or something) and for the sake of my stress level.

So, yeah, where I was stressing and worried about the tax return coming in, now I'm just looking forward to a sense of relief knowing that we have more than pennies in the bank.

So, onto this week's goals!

Sewing Goals:
  • Start work on daughter's birthday gift.
  • Finish kitchen towels if I have time.

General Goals:
  • Get kids through their Valentine's parties at school (done)
  • Make sugar cookies for husband as Valentine's gift (those are going to be made tomorrow while my husband is at work as a surprise, so those aren't done yet)
  • Work on getting daughter's room organized better
  • Bring empty canning jars down and put into pantry (I was hoping to can things in them, but just haven't had time and the son keeps trying to inadvertently break them when they are in his way, so down into the pantry they go).
  • Deep clean laundry room (it needs it bad).

And yeah, I'm calling it good on goals.  I'm feeling better and the son is slowly but surely feeling better from his cold (and his eczema is doing really good so far on the new products!), but I'm still going to take the "slow and steady" approach because if I've learned anything through the years with my stomach is that if I push it, it pushes back and not in a good way.

So, there you have it folks.  My goals for this week.  What about you?  Up to anything?

9 comments:

  1. I have mostly cleaning goals. But I,could have cried tonight when my 4 year old looked at the living room that I had finally gotten in tip top shape yesterday, after weeks of being too sick to do much and looked at the crumbs and toys and costumes and books and etc that had appeared from 1pm when he came home, til 630 when he and his brother went upstairs, and said. Your going to have to clean this up. Grrrr. And they and my husband went off playing video games. It's still all over the floor, and might be until tomorrow after I get home from work,,eat Kate lunch and hopefully have the stamina. I'm not feeling well still, but not much I can do.

    I think it's a good idea to just do the double payments and have the money for just in case. It's better to take care if immediate needs, and have a little for emergency. The peace of mind is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get panicky if I don't have a little bit of a cushion with some money stashed away. Right now we're down to the penny again. My husband is an independent contractor which means it's either feast or famine. Unfortunately the feast is usually the time we catch up on everything and then back to the drawing board. It does unsettle me when we don't have extra. Kind of like waiting for the other shoe to drop. What will happen next that needs money and what magical trick can I do to get it paid. Such is life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you in continuing to think it's going to be a good year no matter what. For me, maintaining an attitude of gratitude changes the whole picture. And speaking of gratitude, I can't thank you enough for posting the link for the bread. I've made the dough into not only bread, but cinnamon rolls, raisen bread, and I'm thinking that it would probably work to make donuts, and monkey bread. I have also used it to make a cheese strata for dinner one night.

    My goal to grocery shop once a month seems to be working out just fine. Since our closest good grocery store is 25 miles away, the savings in gas alone has been great. Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you in continuing to think it's going to be a good year no matter what. For me, maintaining an attitude of gratitude changes the whole picture. And speaking of gratitude, I can't thank you enough for posting the link for the bread. I've made the dough into not only bread, but cinnamon rolls, raisen bread, and I'm thinking that it would probably work to make donuts, and monkey bread. I have also used it to make a cheese strata for dinner one night.

    My goal to grocery shop once a month seems to be working out just fine. Since our closest good grocery store is 25 miles away, the savings in gas alone has been great. Dorothy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think your money plans are perfect! It's definitely better to have a cushion of money in the bank to draw on then spend it all, then hope the money will be there when you need it next. Since your doing a double payment, there will be flexibility on when that second payment gets done too. So if you need to delay a few days, it shouldn't be a problem.

    I'm glad you are still staying positive this year. A great attitude will take you far! Keep up the great work and I look forward to seeing the pillow you make for your daughter's birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember you said you were going to turn over the finances to your husband to handle. Did that not work as hoped? My late husband handled the finances, I think he was too nervous about it all to trust me. However, I had to take over when he passed away unexpectedly, and so far, so good. However, we were retired and in a different stage of life when he died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband totally chickened out before even trying it one month. He kept acting like he would have to schedule things for the nearest available weekend and I tried to explain to him that no, you could just keep the dates of the bills straight and do the bills online and things, but he just got lost in my explanation somehow. Sometimes, when money is giving me hives, I wish he'd taken over for a while, but at least now a days he's showing a lot more interest in seeing where we are exactly finances-wise and is willing to listen a lot more when I tell him we're in duress. So, some good did come out of it, even if it wasn't him taking over the worries for me.

      Delete
  7. Can't wait to see the pillow when it's done! And I think it's so nice that you're thinking of gifts to make for others, despite everything going on in your own life. Your kids have such a great role model!

    It's going to be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY! I am different from everyone! I would go ahead and pay off the bill far ahead of time and be done with it no matter how much it hurt. That would give me more peace of mind that letting it hang over my head. However, if keeping it in the bank as a cushion would make you feel better, do it the best way for you.
    Jeannie
    GetMeToTheCountry.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete