Saturday, July 4, 2015

Red, White and Blue Jello Salad

Happy Independence Day to all of my American compatriots!

I had a plan for the 4th of July this year and was going to do all kinds of cool stuff for the family to celebrate the 4th.

Well, a couple of things threw a monkey wrench in that.  One:  My son isn't sleeping.  Like at all.  I'm getting, on average, about two hours of uninterrupted sleep per night right now.  Two:  I didn't realize we were having company for the 4th as I'd forgotten my husband had invited my in-laws over (which was fine, just doing things like studying the Declaration of Independence and making pinwheels wasn't really something I could see doing with my father-in-law over, so I had to redo my plans a bit this weekend).

Which worked out.  So, instead of doing some intricate things like I'd planned, I made this salad instead as my little "nod" toward celebrating Independence Day.

And so, I give you "Red, White and Blue Jello Salad"!  So simple it's pathetic, but super yummy and is a great way to transition into discussing the flag and what the colors represent.
Red, White and Blue Jello Salad

Ingredients:
  • 2 packages raspberry jello, made to package directions (fully set)
  • 2 cups (1 pint) blueberries (canned or frozen, well drained, or fresh cleaned)
  • 1/2 container whipped topping (or 1 cup whipping cream, whipped and sweetened to taste)
Procedure:
1.  When you prepare your raspberry jello prepare it in a 7x11 dish (I used good old Pyrex for this)

2.  When Jello is fully set, take your blueberries (I used home canned, drained well) and spread in an even layer on top of the raspberry jello.

3.  Take whipped topping (or whipped cream) and spread over the top of the blueberries.
To serve cut down through all three layers in as close to a square as you can get (if you prepare Jello jigglers like consistency, this would probably work better, but my daughter loves Jello but doesn't like the chewy texture of jigglers, so I went with the more traditional set jello) and place as prettily as you can in a bowl.  And enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment