Sunday, March 29, 2015

What I'm Reading in 2015, March: Han Solo and the Lost Legacy

You know on one hand I can't believe that March is nearly gone, but on the other hand it can't leave soon enough as far as I'm concerned.  What a month!

Anyway, I know the two people who actually read these "What I'm Reading" posts might care enough to read through this one too, so without further ado the book I read in March was...


Han Solo and the Lost Legacy by Brian Daley

Ha!  I know!  Not exactly what you'd expect with the other things I've been reading huh?

Well, this book has quite a history (and funny story) behind it.

You see, "Han Solo and the Lost Legacy" is book 3 of a Han Solo Trilogy by Brian Daley.  I'd read the first two books years ago ("Han Solo's Revenge" and "Han Solo at Star's End").  Read:  Before children.

I was really looking forward to reading this book.  Then I had my daughter and my son 18 months later.  My daughter never slept, my son was even worse and wouldn't let me put him down and then when he was old enough he started eating paper (it's part of his autism), so books for a long while got put on the back burner.

I think I tried to start this book about 15 times over the last 8 years.  Something always stopped me from getting more than 10 pages in before I had to stop, put it aside and forget about it for a while.  Finally, this month I was able to pick it up and read it during therapies.  And I got to read it ALL THE WAY THROUGH!!!

You can not believe how thrilled I am to finally have read this book.  I think I had the beginning memorized by the time it was all said and done, but to find out how the book progressed and ended?  Was by far one of the highlights of my year so far *laugh*.

Anyway, a bit about the book.

This is a GREAT trilogy to get for the Han Solo fan in your life.  I have never read anyone who was able to peg Han Solo's character, and Chewie's for that matter, down so well in writing (and in my younger days I read a lot of different ones).

I really enjoyed the first two books, where if you read this book cold you'll notice characters that are held over from the first two books you won't recognize (but you could still follow the book relatively well).  But this book, this book was the best of the three (how often have you EVER been able to say that of a trilogy?) and was just perfect in the way the plot went down and wrapped up at the end (I really don't want to spoil it for you as the ending will really nail Han's luck and make you realize how great these books really are).

And before you wonder, yes, this book wraps up with the beginning of the series of events that leads into Star Wars for Han, but in such a way you'll walk away laughing.  And putting the book into your pile of "keepers" to reread for years to come.

What I consider to be the best part of all of this is if you want to buy these, while they are out of print they are still cheap (.01 on Amazon for the paperbacks), so you won't have to worry about breaking the bank to read them.

Seriously, if you have a child who is a Star Wars fan or know someone who is a fan of the original movies?  Get these books.  You will not be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment