Friday, February 13, 2015

Frugal Friday (Money Saving Weekly Recap): Week ending 2/13/15

So, one of the cool things I thought I'd introduce to the blog is some frugal accountability each week.  So, each week I'm going to post in what ways we saved money, large or small (most times small) around here and if you have something cool to share, feel free to!

This week, we were all recovering from being sick with a cold, so I didn't get as much done as I'd hoped.  But, here's a few things I did to save money this week.

1.  I made meals at home instead of going out to eat.

2.  I fixed a shirt my daughter had gotten from somewhere for free.  It was obvious from the get go that the shirt had some type of shell or some undershirt to it as it is WAY too low cut for a little kid.  My daughter, being young, keeps forgetting to wear an undershirt, which leads me to have to tell her to get an undershirt on or change her shirt way too much.  So, I decided it was time to fix it and make it more suitable for an 8 year old to wear.

Here's the before and after pics...

See, way too low cut for a little girl (especially my slight stature daughter).

And here's the after.  First I had her put it on, marked with a dry erase marker (on the inside of the collar so it wouldn't show) where I wanted the collar to actually hit.  I then hand sewed up the outside edge of the collar with white thread I had and so that it didn't look odd with a sewed up collar like that I used three buttons from one of my button jars to make a fake button up collar.

I thought it turned out pretty cute myself.

3. 
I darned a bunch of my husband's socks. I still have a lot to work through, but I got a good start (tutorial on that coming soon).

4.  Instead of going out to a fancy restaurant or something for Valentine's Day, my husband and I used some of our tax rebate and went to Costco to pick up some essentials.  It seemed a better use of our money.

5.  We watched some movies online for free instead of worrying about buying another movie we wanted to see.  We downloaded a few and burned them to disk as well that aren't available anywhere else.

6.  Used some veggies that were past their prime and made soup instead of letting them get thrown away.

And there you are folks.  My frugal adventures for the week.  How did you do?  Anyone save money this week in little ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment