Monday, March 20, 2017
Frugal Friday Goal Update Thingie Post
What happened you ask?
Well, Friday was just REALLY busy with errand running and things, but Friday night I woke up with my tonsils bugging me in the middle of the night. I drank a bunch of water, gargled with some mouthwash and went back to bed. Saturday I woke up not feeling too great, but I tried hard to get stuff done in between gargling with salt water, apple cider vinegar shots and even gargling with rum (I'm not a big fan of hard alcohol, but in this case it was necessary) to try and keep my tonsils down. See, I recognized the early signs of what turned out to be strep from last time, but this time I figured I had some advanced warning, so I was determined to fight. Woke up in the middle of the night Saturday not being able to swallow past my tonsils really and realizing that I had, indeed lost. One 300.00 trip to Urgent Care first thing on Sunday and a REALLY positive strep test and some penicillin to combat it, and I was officially shot. I spent most of yesterday in bed feeling awful.
Today I'm a LITTLE better, although my throat hurts worse than it did yesterday, oddly enough. But, yeah, I'm not thrilled to have strep for the second time in six months *scowl*.
Got Prince done with his follow up check up with the vet. Great news is that his eye looks great (thank you, Lord) and I managed to get one of his two boosters done today as the pound didn't give him a leukemia vaccine (kind of blew my mind they didn't test for that at the pound with how quickly something like that would spread, but okay), so we got him tested and got that on board as well. I have to take him in ONE more time next month just to get the leukemia booster and that's done. Got Belkar's follow up tomorrow at the vet and her booster shot visit, so once those are done I can HOPEFULLY stop bleeding money here sometime soon. Glad I didn't pay off Clark's dental bills or I'd have no money to do any of this, but I was HOPING to save some of it, darn it!
Right so a quick recap of things I got done last week. I managed to barely keep on top of the housework with my son and daughter home for the week, got my daughter's room cleaned out and reorganized to a point, got the den mucked out a bunch and the cardboard that we'd been accumulating sorted into different boxes to recycle and...yeah...that's about it. I didn't get much done on my list (well nothing really), but I did get some embroidery ideas drawn out on paper to transfer to material, so at least I got that far. I also sat down and started researching seeds and ordered a bunch, including some from Denali Seed Company as they have seeds that are rated for Alaska or even developed to grow here. They even have CORN that will grow up here. I was thrilled and ordered some of that too :).
My husband and I sat down and tallied up expenses and expenses we need to do yet this year and finally decided this was NOT the year to consider getting chickens as we figure if there is an area we want to put our money into this year it isn't going to be getting feed and things for chickens and building up a proper insulated area/coop to keep chickens for winter, not to mention our labor. No, if we're going to put money into something we want it to be put into expanding the garden. My friend works constantly, but also has tons of organic seeds, so she said if she could grow things here (basically if I take care of the plants for her) she'd give me not only a portion of the booty and some of the seeds (since all of hers are open pollinating varieties), but she'd also provide the seed as well, so I'm curious to see what she is going to have that I might not. I might talk to her about maybe me putting a little money into a chicken concern with her for a portion of the eggs and meat (she HAS a coop), but that will have to wait for later this week :).
My husband got another interview, this time with the airport for the job he REALLY wanted, so if you could send a prayer for him that would be great. He had the interview earlier today. Man, I hope he gets this one as I've never seen him this excited over a job before.
So, yeah, let's get into the "Frugal Friday" portion of the post shall we?
1. I got my son a mattress (seen up top). We went around everywhere we could local and found NOTHING that was the least affordable/in our price range, so I ordered one from Wal-Mart.com. I ordered it the same day I ordered the bed frame from Amazon (saved me 40.00 shipping finding one on Amazon that would ship up here) and the mattress beat the frame by a good four days. Go Wal-Mart.com on that one! All totaled between the mattress (154.00 shipped) and the bed frame (60.00 shipped) I spent about 200.00 for a new bed for the son. Not bad I'd say.
Now I need to invest another 35.00 or so and get a second in-good-condition mattress protector for his new mattress so he doesn't wreck the memory foam spilling things on it.
2. As I said, I ordered seeds. I ordered most of the seeds from Denali seed company which I found really reasonable in price. Most seeds cost me about 1.79 or so per packet. I also ordered a few seeds from Territorial Seed Company. The main thing I wanted from them was a type of pea that only takes 30 days to grow before you can harvest it. That's my type of growing season for up here :). Territorial definitely cost me more in shipping too, but overall I spent about 30.00 on different kinds of seeds from both companies and will have a wide variety of plants to choose from to grow in the garden. Yay!!!
3. We went to a location each day last week to get the kids out of the house as part of Spring Break. It was super nasty windy most of the week, so we went to different stores for the most part. We tried to stick to stores where we had gift cards to keep spending down and it worked. Some stores we didn't even spend any money in.
4. Grocery shopping was done primarily at Carrs this week, although I did stop off at Fred Meyer (one of our "field trips" with the kids one night) and get a few things and my Freebie Friday V-8 Energy drink.
At Carrs I combined sales, E-Coupons and printed coupons from the Monopoly game to get items for as cheap as possible and spent a total of 70.00 and that was also getting a corned beef and satellite items that I normally wouldn't buy, so I felt pretty good about that. I got my free aluminum foil (JUST in time as I ran out the day I picked it up!) and my free salt while I was there as well.
The gal who was checking out in front of me also had an autistic child and we struck up a conversation and had a good time chatting while she was getting checked out. She had a huge cart of groceries and asked if I'd like her Monopoly tickets since she wasn't playing the game and I said sure. Between her tickets and mine I got out of the store with like 70 tickets *laugh*. I got a few freebies coupons out of the tickets, but for the life of me the freebies are escaping me right now...still not feeling great.
5. The highlight of meals this last week was definitely the day that I made chicken a la orange in the crock pot and a home made cheesecake from scratch. Everything I used (orange marmalade, cherry preserves, home made Russian dressing, onions and parsley I dehydrated, etc) with the exception of bare bones basic ingredients I had put up or made myself, including the graham cracker crust for the cheesecake (and of course the filling and topping *laugh*). The family was actually REALLY happy with the meal too, so that was definitely an awesome feeling.
6. Since I was feeling pretty ucky today I put dinner in the crock pot during a "good feeling" moment and voila! Dinner will be ready when my husband gets home from Anchorage and we won't have to eat out. Always a good feeling.
7. I cancelled Netflix this week. My husband and I sat down and figured it all out and we came to realize that we just plain don't use it enough to justify the cost. We plan to see what we can watch for free through Amazon Prime and then from there look at other free resources on the Internet to watch things. That will save us about 12.00 per month. Not a "wow" type of savings, but a savings none the less.
There was more to report, but my brain is fried and my throat feels awful right now, so I'm going to call it good for now. Goals for this week are to feel better and see if I can get my son's new bed put together, get things rearranged otherwise to work for the time being in his room (his race car bed frame barely made it UP the stairs when we moved in...I should know as I moved it by myself...so it's going OUT the front door if it's going out and with the amount of snow outside still...it might be sitting in the son's bedroom for a bit, so I need to figure all of that out). I would also LIKE to get started on some of my embroidery and other crafty type of projects if my health will let me. Here's hoping.
So, there is my week in a nutshell. How did you all do?