Tonight we enjoyed a tradition in my family, pork and sauerkraut for luck in the new year. Instead of just sauerkraut, though, I decided to pop open my first can of the pickled red cabbage slaw from the Ball Book of Home Preserving. I figured the universe wouldn't care if the kraut was traditionally fermented or if it was just pickled. Impression of this stuff? Man, it is STRONG! It actually brought tears to my eyes eating it a few times because the vinegar taste was so strong. I'm going to take the left overs and dump them in with a pork roast or some brats and then add something to cut the acidity (probably water) and just let the stuff cook for a while to see if I can cut the strong flavor some in it, but at this point I don't see myself making this again. I'm probably going to just stick with the kraut next time when I can. But hey, the rat tailed radish relish? That stuff is tasty! A bit thin, but tasty all the same (tried that a bit ago, but wasn't sure if I shared that or not :).
Last month's goals got kinda, sorta, accomplished. I did get Christmas gifts done, although I have a few that I'm going to finish up and then put into storage for next year (a couple of pillow cases for the kids from some Christmas fabric I had). I also got the new table runner made, got the videos donated to "Toys for Tots" (with how frantic December was I ended up donating them a few days before Christmas), my birthday ended up being a cheap date where we had good steak from the freezer that I got cheap and a free cake mix courtesy of Fred Meyer and their 25 Merry Days and it was decent as birthdays go. And I got the video shelves moved upstairs, although I'm still working on organizing them and things, so that'll have to transfer over onto the goals for this month.
The kid's dentist appointment I ended up rescheduling because I was sick and not up to going, so we have that and my son's next allergy injection this week (one day apart, actually so I'm hoping my son takes it all okay). I'm hoping my daughter does alright with all of this as she gets upset when others are uncomfortable so I'm worried she might get a bit queasy watching her brother get a shot. Here's hoping everything goes okay.
When it comes to goals this month it kind of ties in with some of my new yearly goals (coming in another post) and are kind of all over the board, but they are goals all the same :).
- Fix batting in comforters as much as I can (our comforters get washed about five times a week with my son and they show wear and tear a lot quicker because of it, so I have some that are losing their quilting and need some TLC to get them to last longer hopefully).
- Work on making some towels
- Work on making some pot holders
- Start going through and figuring out what can be donated and drop off at used store
- Rearrange china cabinet and books, switch places on bottom shelf and organize things better for everyday use (more on that later as I know that's about as clear as mud).
- Start work on getting master bedroom organized, including closet
- Move sheets dresser out of son's room and find a place to put it (it's an antique and he's working on trying to wreck it)
- Organize video shelves a bit better and try to find missing movies.
- Get back to menu planning (more on that later as I'm going to do it a bit different...I hope)
- Get paperwork gathered together as much as possible to file for taxes next month
- Get insurance worked out for daughter for year (waiting on the state at this point more than anything)
- Get prescription refills for kids for year (on a few of them anyway) from various doctors
- Work on getting cleaning done and schedule reset so I can keep the house clean (getting there, thank goodness)
And there you are folks. My goals for this month. How about you? Got anything planned?