Saturday, December 17, 2016
Frugal Friday: Money Saving Weekly Recap
First I got some freebies this week, so I'm going to break them down by point here :).
1. I actually, in an act of OCD about not missing out on freebies, plugged reminders for the 25 Merry Days with Fred Meyer into my phone, so I made sure to get my 7-Up coupon and my cake mix coupon loaded onto my card immediately. When I went to the store I also found that they had the peanuts back in stock (and I got 4 oz free too! Woohoo!), so I got those while I was there. And I also got the freebie Friday freebies too of the Tim Tam cookies and the Werther's caramels (I didn't realize I grabbed sugar free, but I'll eat them either way). My friend then contacted me and gave me her freebies for the BBQ sauce and her 7-Up, so I grabbed those while I was at the store too. The peanuts immediately went into the "peanuts go here" area high up in the garage to make sure they are FAR away from my son.
I spent more than I should have this week on groceries...well I guess more than I wanted to, 30.00 over budget (80.00), but I ran into some really good sales on meat, including Butterball turkey for .99 lb at Carrs, so I grabbed one for next Thanksgiving (sad, but true *laugh*) and I got some good steaks on reduced at Fred Meyer (which is so totally going to be my birthday dinner treat to me). I also got butter (2.49 per lb with in-ad coupon at Carrs), flour (1.49 per 5 lb bag at Carrs with E-Coupon, limit of 2) and a bunch of other regular groceries to try and get us through as long as I can without going to the store again. The kids only have a four day week next week, of course, and I just plain want to stay out of the stores with the kids through next weekend if possible since the stores are going to be REALLY busy I'm sure and my son doesn't take large lines very well.
2. My vacuum cleaner blew a belt this week and I ended up flinching and then calling my husband and asking him to go and get me a new belt at the Kirby store. We didn't have a lot of money, at all, but I knew I needed that, so I figured I'd just have to deal with it. My husband told the Kirby guy that he could install the belt himself, but he needed a replacement for the vacuum. When the Kirby guy heard that my husband would install it, he just gave it to him for free =D.
3. I had placed an order with Jo-Ann Fabrics at the end of November for some unbleached muslin. It wasn't the type I really wanted, but the price was right on an online sale and the shipping charges were cheap, so I swallowed hard and spent about 13.00 to get 10 yards of muslin.
I e-mailed them a couple of days ago as my order had never gone beyond "processing" even though I knew that the cloth was still available online and I had already been charged for it. So, I just asked if the item was going to be shipped anytime soon.
Suddenly the next day I get a package from Jo-Ann's with an apology letter saying they were sorry that my order had been so delayed, that it was their fault and that, get this, they rushed my order to me FREE OF CHARGE and were refunding my money from my original order as their way of saying, "sorry". THAT is above and beyond customer service! I'm thrilled that I got 10 yards of fabric for free, I have to say :).
4. I didn't go anywhere and worked at home all week, which definitely saved us money. I only shopped once this week and made sure to combine it with errand running day on Friday to conserve gas, as well.
5. I pulled out a thing of hamburger from the freezer and split it in half right away. One half I used for tacos, using ground turkey to pad out the hamburger to last three meals and then used the other half to make hamburgers for dinner tonight (to treat my husband as burgers are his favorite meal I think).
6. I made Christmas gifts out of materials I already had in the house this week. I used a pillow that we never really used (a friend gave it to us), cut it open and used the nice new stuffing in it to fill other things I was making (more on that later).
7. I grabbed some change we had in the change jar and went and donated it to charity. It wasn't much, but it was what I had. I figure if everyone does that, we could help a lot of people :).
8. I looked up a bunch of stuff online to print off for stocking stuffers for Christmas as I didn't want to go and spend the money on them (and honestly, this was more fun, anyway).
And there you are folks. Some ways I saved money this week. How did you do?