This month I am hoping to fill the pantry a bit more with things that I need and/or I got at a good price that we use a LOT. For instance, I am ordering a lot of 12 containers of Kraft Parmesan cheese off of Amazon this month. My son eats pasta with olive oil and Parmesan cheese on it at LEAST twice a week, sometimes as many as four times (and that's not counting the pasta he takes for school lunches). I had ordered some Parmesan cheese in bulk years ago off of Amazon and had been using it slowly but surely to supplement the big containers I got at the store, but I finally ran out and when I noticed the price of a big container of Parmesan cheese is up near 10.00 (I mean GEEZ!!!) I decided that I needed to get the bulk order from Amazon as we'll definitely use it. Unfortunately my kids are Kraft cheese snobs, they won't "do" generic brand Parmesan cheese, so this was definitely the most cost effective option for me.
This month is also going to be seeing me reducing my weekly grocery budget back down to 50.00, since produce sales are pretty much over for the year. I might go over here and there to get some good deals on produce, but I'm figuring for now reducing it back down won't harm anything. My freezers are PACKED full right now (to the point I'm wondering where I'm going to fit the chicken thighs I bought Friday into them *laugh*), so at least I'm prepared to start having to live more out of the freezer in the coming months. God has been good to me when it came to sales, making sure I had money to buy meat when the sales hit and other things (like produce). I am very very grateful as with dividends already spent before they are even in, I am going to need all the help I can get to hopefully get dental bills paid off on time (thank goodness that tunnel finally has a little light at the end of it. Two more teeth to go and my husband's mouth is done for the time being! After that it's just getting a permanent false tooth put in here and there as we have money. Yay!!!) and the other monetary trains moving smoothly in the coming months all the while TRYING (I hope not in vain) to save money and put some pennies back into the bank.
Some things have gotten added to my list this month in the way of spices and/or herbs as I have come to realize looking through my spice cabinet that I have to replace some of them as they are over 14 years old and a lot of them just don't TASTE like anything anymore so they need to be replaced. And in some cases, like with allspice berries, I went to mull apple cider (thank goodness I hadn't started the canning process yet!) only to find that I'd put an empty container back into the cabinet when I used the berries last (I'm assuming last Thanksgiving as that's the one time of year I use a decent amount of them for the turkey brine). The same thing happened with my powdered ginger, although I'm not quire sure when I used that last. I replaced the ginger and allspice berries last month, adding them to my Amazon order as I ran into them super cheap (the powdered ginger was 2.22 for a decently big container and the allspice berries were less than 4.00 for a HUGE bag of them...what I'm going to do with all of those berries I'm not really sure, but it was a LOT cheaper than than the nearly 10.00 the store wanted for a tiny jar of them).
So, here's my list of things that I'm hoping to get this month!
- Jack O' Lantern Pumpkin (done).
- Dishwashing Detergent
- Halloween candy (tootsie pops, starburst and smarties as I can use those for my son's reinforcers later if we don't get many trick-or-treaters).
- Keep eye on sales on baking goods and safe for son chocolate.
- Thyme (my plant didn't produce enough to see me through winter this year, so I'm supplementing)
- Cumin (big container)
- Peanut free nuts (ordered some peanut free pecans from "The Pecan Farm" down in Texas. I LOVE pecans and was so so thrilled to find some that I could buy that were safe from peanut contamination. I used my associate fees to pay for it. Thank you to everyone who ordered through my link. I really appreciate it!).
- Gillette Fusion razor with 2 refill blades (this was 4.69 after discounts and coupons a few weeks ago so I ordered it for my husband who is getting low on razors).
- Good Sense Nasal Decongestant PE (super duper cheap for Sudafed, which is one of those meds my husband likes and, unfortunately, our medicine stores are finally shot after all of the years living off of my coupon bought stash. An end to an era. It made me sad *laugh*).
- Good Sense Ibuprofen 500 caplets (once again SUPER cheap for Ibuprofen!)
- Crystal Light (my husband agreed to start trying to drink more of things like this instead of the huge amounts of Coke he tends to consume as he knows all of the sugar in his diet isn't good for him. I know it's not ideal, water would be more ideal, but it's a start :).
- Kraft Parmesan Cheese, lot of 12
- Onion Powder (I need to comp shop it and see how expensive it is as I didn't really like the prices on Amazon).
- SAF instant yeast (the only place local I can find it and it's decently cheap too!)
- Hunter's Sticks (these are kind of like Slim Jims, but hand made with different types of game meat. My husband really likes them and they are actually pretty reasonable in price, so I want to get some and stick them in the freezer as part of his Christmas gift).