Friday, January 8, 2016
Frugal Friday: Money Saving Weekly Recap
Well, when it came to saving money this week things went well!
1. I went to Fred Meyer earlier in the week to get my Freebie Friday of free bread. I was praying that the bread would be safe for my son to eat (you'd be surprised how much whole grain anything is contaminated with peanuts) and found to my surprise that the regular whole wheat bread was safe! So, I gleefully got the bread. I also found storage bags on clearance for .79 a box in the quart size. I had a coupon loaded on my card for .50/2 and when it came off at the register it came off numerous times, so I guess it was unlimited use (or at least 3 times anyway), which was great getting the bags that cheap!
I also found some bath sets on clearance for 2.49 a piece. I bought a Hello Kitty one for my daughter as part of her birthday present and grabbed the other one for her to "earn" with chores later on. The minion bath set I couldn't pass up as it came with two big bottles of soap (one body wash and one bubble bath). I have found my daughter loves to go through soap and is even scratching her bar soap down (grrr) so I figured once I add the bubble bath and body wash to her body wash pump bottle it'll refill a 10.00 bottle of body wash without issues. I also got her some sparkly hair bands (on clearance for 1.00) hoping that she'll finally start letting me braid her hair at night (she's got my baby fine hair that frizzes like nobody's business, lucky little thing). We'll see how well that works.
I then went to Carrs and was able to score a one pound bag of cinnamon for less than 3.00. I almost picked up a second one as they have a 2018 expiration on them, but I also realized that I only use so much cinnamon in a given year, so I stopped with the one.
2. My friend Stephanie then gave me some freebies she's not using that she got playing an instant win game for Fred Meyer and her Freebie Friday coupons as well. So I was able to get another loaf of bread, a box of microwave popcorn and some yogurt for free (thanks, Stephanie!!!). I am going to divide up the one loaf of bread into 2 slice portions with wax paper in between and then freeze. This way I'll be able to pull out two pieces of bread for my son for toast or if someone wants a sandwich, but I won't have to worry about it molding on me, which does happen with whole wheat bread around here sometimes.
3. Carrs had pasta on sale this week for .69 per box. I bought 20 pounds as this is as cheap as I've seen it...well for as long as I can remember and we eat pasta a LOT, so it was totally worth stocking up. I even raided the coin jar and took a quick trip to get eight boxes while my son was in therapy.
4. Carrs also, it turned out (and I totally missed in the ad) had value packs of pork chops on sale for buy 1 get 3 free this week (seasoned ones). When I looked at the loin chops and measured how wide they were cut and then compared them to a big pork loin nearby I figured out that basically it was "buy 1 pork loin get 3 free". So for 22.00 I was able to get a ton of pork, which if I don't like the seasoning I'll wash it off before I put the chops into the freezer. Easy peazy!
5. I did well at the thrift store this week.
6. I mended a few holes in some comforters this week.
7. Despite picking up extras when it came to groceries this week (including some on sale deli meat to make lunches for my husband next week), by shopping carefully, I still came in under my grocery budget (after fuel for the car even) by 10.00!
8. By being careful (and freezing my tail off during the day some days) I was able to get my electric bill down by 80.00 this month. Still not as good as I'd hoped it'd be, but better than it was for sure.
9. I signed up for a free subscription to Better Homes and Gardens through freebizmags. Every once in a while they have a subscription anyone can get for free, so I was able to get it.
And there you are folks. Some of the ways I saved money this week. How did you do?