Saturday, October 31, 2015

Frugal Saturday: Money Saving Weekly Recap

I would say "Frugal Friday" but I didn't get to this yesterday due to being busy baking and then I ended up rereading the first Harry Potter book...because well I wanted to ;).

So, anyway Happy Halloween everyone!

This week's frugal accomplishments include:

1.  I realized the hard way as I'm doing more and more embroidery that my little cheap folding scissors I've had for years just were not cutting it (literally) anymore.  I realized I had a 60% off one item coupon in my Jo-Ann ad for last weekend so we went and I found embroidery scissors weren't on sale (score) so I was able to get a pair for about 5.00.  I want to take a 50% off coupon one of these days and get my daughter a pair before Christmas (I'm hoping to give her a mini sewing kit to start teaching her some of the basics).  I also got a couple of individual sized milk bottles and various shades of pink embroidery floss (because I needed it).  All totaled I spent less than 13.00 on everything.  Yay for sales and coupons!

2.  My step mom sent me another, what she calls a "pinata box" because she kind of randomly throws things into a box and I never know what I'm going to get.  It's awesome for me as it's like Christmas ;).  This time she threw in a skein of Red Heart team spirit colored yarn in the same colors as Gryffindor's colors (gold and maroon), so I'll be able to make my daughter a Hogwarts scarf for Christmas (she LOVES scarves...I think it's her favorite part of winter).  Thanks Rox :).

3.  A friend of mine gave me her freebies from the last couple of weeks from Fred Meyer and gave me a freebie she had at Carrs too.  It was really nice of her to do that and I really appreciated the free stuff, especially the food.  Thanks, Stephanie!

4.  I mended two pairs of my husband's jeans this week.  The other four pairs, unfortunately, were just beyond repair, but I cut up the jeans so I could reuse the zippers and every available good scrap of denim.  I even cut out interior on the pockets as you never know when you might need those.

5.  I fixed a couple of my sweaters that had snags in them when I pulled them out for the season.  They look a lot better now.

6.  We wanted to do something special for Halloween with the kids since we decided trick or treating was out.  On top of doing Harry Potter themed Halloween meals and treats, my husband found that the local pool was having a special Halloween event where the entire family could get in for 15.00.  By the time my daughter got done dragging her feet and whining we only had 1/2 an hour left to the event when we got there, but we all had a really good time.  We are trying to teach the kids to swim, so this was a good first step toward that.  On the way out we were able to get goodie bags for the kids and inside each bag was a ticket for another free admission for each child, so that will help save us a few bucks the next time we go (it's really not that pricey, but still every little bit helps).

7.  For our "Halloween feast" I only used things I had around the house already to make the meals.  This definitely saved us money.

And there you go.  Some ways I saved money this week.  How did you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment