Thursday, September 3, 2015
The Birthday Bedroom Reveal (Redoing a Room on a Zero Budget)
So, first here's the room that I had to deal with before...
The wooden bedside table needed to go. It's sturdy and we love it to pieces, but my son spent most of his time standing on it to pull all of the trucks my husband put up on his shelf down on top of his head, so it was time for a changing on the proverbial guard there. There are some things missing from these photos too. I pulled a gigantic rocking horse out of the bedroom and put it into storage that my husband had made a couple of years ago and I took a huge car race track thingy that my son spent most of his time standing on and put it into storage too. So, the room wasn't QUITE as sparse as the photos make it appear.
My son LOVES cars (all those moving parts you know), so I went with car racing as the theme for his room. Formula One racing to be more exact :).
Here's the quilt I made for him. The black quilt binding is where the 7.00 I was talking about went. The blue border material was a very nice quality twin sheet I picked up at a used store a while ago. When I cut the material up to make the quilt I then used some of the left over material to make a matching pillow sham.
The prints on the wall were from the good ol' internet. I was looking for Formula One types of vintage posters to print off and I ran into these Cars 2 promotional posters. I loved them, printed two of them off (there are four in the series) and put them in frames that I had in the house already. And voila! Formula One themed prints :).
If interested you can find the prints here. Just page down to the gallery and look for the prints in the mess of photos. They're pretty cool!
The other wooden shelf has moved with us since we moved into our previous home (another hold over from the previous owners). It's rotated around. Most recently it housed my limited collection of Pyrex casseroles in my kitchen, but I cleaned it off and put it in here instead.
I wrapped the barrel in white drawing paper (the kind that comes on the roll) and then printed the Mobil logo onto photo paper off of the internet. I then wrapped as much as I could of the barrel in laminating paper to stop my son from hopefully causing much liquid damage on it. I tried to match a vintage looking oil drum as much as possible. My husband thinks I did a pretty good job, so that's good enough for me.
Then came the lid. I took sand paper my husband had and sanded all of the rust off of the lid. I then took a can of silver spray paint my husband had and gave the lid a couple of coats (it's a rust resistant paint too, which is a good thing as the lid is going to take abuse I'm sure).
This is probably my son's favorite part of his new room thus far. Because the barrel is empty he can hit the lid and it's essentially like a big drum. He LOVES the noise *laugh*.
Next to the "oil drum" is an empty five gallon bucket or "waste oil" container that is currently housing dirty laundry. Total coincidence that it worked out the bucket would go with the theme, but I'll take it ;).
this template and tutorial. I only printed off the automotive oil labels and only printed off three of them (seeing as how I had three cans). I put the labels on with packaging tape (once again for protection to the paper to help save them from abuse by my paper eating son). My husband loves these. I think it's his favorite part of the decor.
I then put some of my son's books on auto racing and machines on the shelf and placed his little rubber band run race car on the shelf too. This gives him less motivation to get into things on the shelf as his trucks are now more on his level in the room below. He checked out the shelf for a few minutes and then shrugged and went back to playing on his bed.
On top is his Speed Racer Mach 5 nightlight my husband found at a used store ages ago and a gasoline truck coin bank my brother-in-law gave to my son for Christmas, I think it was last year.
Over by his closet didn't change much (thus the lack of pics of that wall). All I did there was take down all of the old and outdated artwork I had hanging up of his and put this piece up of his I had framed. I always thought it was really cool splatter painting and it reflects the colors of the space well. So, I hung it up in his room instead of in my stairway.
I always try to incorporate pictures the kids have made themselves into the house and their spaces. Sometimes the best artwork is the artwork you do yourself :).
Overall, for a non-budget makeover, I thought I did pretty decent. And my son loves the new room, so double bonus there.