Friday, August 21, 2015
Frugal Friday: Money Saving Weekly Recap and Garden Update
I have shocked no less than four people this week as I told the tale of how I had to re-stake my tomato plants this week as they were quite literally growing across my driveway and I had to do something before I worried about slugs getting to them.
I've NEVER had tomatoes grow like this in Alaska. In the 12 odd years I've grown tomatoes up here they haven't done 1/2 as well as they did this year. I grew two plants this year, as a matter of fact, in the hopes that I could get enough tomatoes to perhaps have an odd tomato sandwich or two before I had to pickle or can all of my mini green tomatoes at the end of the season.
Now I'm at kind of a loss as I wasn't planning on having half of the amount of tomatoes I'm getting. My husband can't eat tomatoes raw due to acid reflux (even seeded, which is depressing) and my daughter hates pretty much all vegetables. My son with his issues won't even look at a tomato period. So, unless I want to turn red here in the next bit, I'm thinking I might be making some green tomato relish (something that has intrigued me for years honestly) or I might be trying to dig up some more canning jars to can some tomato sauce or whole tomatoes. I'm not complaining, do not get me wrong, just surprised *laugh*.
I picked some green tomatoes from the garden (when I re-staked the tomatoes some tomatoes were harmed a bit in the process, so I picked them). I turned some of them into fried green tomatoes one day (yum!) and plan on seeing if the others will indeed ripen on the counter, or if I'll have to make more fried green tomatoes out of them.
I didn't harvest herbs this week. I'm planning on harvesting what is left of my herbs this coming week as the plants are hitting "the growth wall" as I like to call it where they are starting to put their efforts into seeding rather than growing new offshoots. So, it's time to harvest them, dehydrate them and call it good for the year.
Anyway, onto other matters!
1. I started working on my son's birthday gift yesterday. I've been so preoccupied with money that I just plain forgot his birthday is coming up in a few weeks. I didn't want to spend a lot of money on his birthday, but still wanted to make him something he'll like, so I've got things in the work to do just that (more on that later).
2. I started working on Christmas gifts this week too. I've got a lot of Christmas gifts to worry about, so I always start early on them. I embroidered the pillow sham I made last week for my daughter and am planning on putting the finishing touches on that tonight. I also sketched out some other embroidery designs for other Christmas gifts as well and starting figuring out a gift making schedule (yes, I really am this OCD sometimes).
3. I mainly tried to stay home as much as possible to not spend money. I worked on cleaning the house and baking a lot this week now that the kids are back in school.
4. I tried a new recipe for bread while I was baking. I found a recipe that calls for SAF instant yeast (my favorite yeast) and makes bread in under an hour. I liked the time frame so I made some. And I really like it! It makes a very light and fluffy bread. I sliced both loaves into slices for easy sandwich or toast making and we've been eating the bread all week. I will definitely be making the bread again.
5. My mother-in-law gave me a hunk off of a giant zucchini that my sister-in-law bought. I'm planning on making the hunk I have into two different recipes (more on that later if it turns out). I haven't messed with zucchini in years, so this will be an interesting experiment for me.
6. I cooked all of our meals at home, which saved us money.
7. I mended one very torn comforter this week. It was one of my son's favorite comforters as it's very soft, but it had about four good sized tears in it. I darned the comforter and now my son is even happier with it (although disappointed that I didn't leave him a hole to pluck batting out of it).
8. I mended a hole in a pair of my daughter's jeans.
9. I shopped sales and used coupons to get the most out of my dollars this week.
10. We burned a couple of old movies that were only available online that we'd been wanting to watch and enjoyed the movies with some popcorn for a movie night.
And there you are folks. Some of the various ways I've saved money this week. How did you do?