Saturday, March 14, 2015

Super Simple Ice Cream (No Ice Cream Maker Needed)


This is one of those recipes that have been around forever, but it's still a classic.

I think normally this is proclaimed as "Two Ingredient Ice Cream", but what I like about it is that it's easily changed up and made into different flavors as well (so, like three ingredient ice cream if you flavor it).

I mentioned on my previous post that I had some cream that was...well not ideal for just using as straight cream, so I made this instead.

This ice cream is yummy, easy and most importantly doesn't require an ice cream maker.

I know some people might freak out at the idea of sugar and fat content on this.  Just rest assured, believe it or not, it's not that high in sugar (and hey fat is actually good for you in moderation) if you compare it to commercially available ice cream.


Super Simple Ice Cream, With Variations (No Ice Cream Maker Needed)

Base Ice Cream Mixture (Vanilla flavor)

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups heavy cream
  • 1 Can sweetened condensed milk
Procedure:

Combine both cream and milk in the bowl of an electric stand mixer (trust me doing this with a hand mixer or by hand is going to take a while and result in a LOT of sore muscles before you're done).  You can add a tsp of vanilla extract if you wish, but I've never found a need. Whip until thick and creamy (about five minutes).

Place in freezer safe containers and freeze overnight.  
And voila!  Ice cream!  What I really like about this recipe is that where normal "make in an ice cream maker" ice cream tends to be grainy from the sugar if you don't mix it till it dissolves, this recipe doesn't have that problem so it's nice and light and creamy when it's done.

Now for some cool variations!

Chocolate Super Simple Ice Cream
  • 1/2 recipe Base Ice Cream Mixture 
  • 1/4 cup your favorite chocolate syrup 

Whisk chocolate syrup into already made base mixture.  Freeze as above.
Strawberry Super Simple Ice Cream
  • 1/2 recipe Base Ice Cream Mixture
  • 3 TBS to 1/4 cup Strawberry Jam or Preserves (I use home made for this)

Whisk jam or preserves into already made base mixture.  Freeze as above.
I made one and a half batches of ice cream last night (obviously from the picture right?).  I had 1 cup of cream left over after making one batch, so I combined that with a half can of sweetened condensed milk I had in the freezer (I have a citrus/lemon lime aide recipe that calls for 6 TBS of sweetened condensed milk, so I always have some sweetened condensed milk hanging out in my freezer).  So, I made all three flavors and voila!  Neapolitan ice cream!  Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment