Wednesday, January 10, 2018

What's For Dinner: This Week's Menu

Well, I'm still behind on blogging.  I do have a list of goals for this month that I'm hoping to share tonight or tomorrow, so stay tuned for that.  I would have posted it up earlier, but I've been busy around here.  Over break we started the son on Ritalin to see how he'd do.  I ended up putting it off until after Christmas as I didn't want him reacting badly to it, if he would react badly to it, and wreck Christmas for him (and everyone else). 

I'm glad I waited.  I was kind of iffy on how the Ritalin was working as it seemed like, at times, the son's mood was off and not in a good way, but I thought it might have been because he was just on break and everything was off for him.  Turns out I was wrong.  He started school Monday again and had a terrible two days, at school and at speech therapy, so I decided to say "no" to the Ritalin today and voila!  Son was instantly better.  So, yeah, all the hopes that I had that Ritalin would help him to concentrate and things...it wasn't meant to be.  Kind of depressing, but at least he's not freaking out anymore.

When it comes to the menu plan, I sat down today with my new spiffy menu plan book that I ordered and while Alvah was in speech therapy I wrote out the menu plan for the next two weeks.  I then put together a corresponding grocery list for each week for what I would need for that week's menu (I LOVE the new book I got as the grocery list is on the same page as the menu so I can make notes as I go along).

I'm just going to share one week's menu at a time, even though I'm going onto a two week menu and grocery shopping plan here, just to make it simpler for people to follow.  You'll notice notes and things as you read...those are for me for reminders and things, so sorry if it confuses you (the blog is kind of my back up in the event I lose the hand written menu plan).

So, let's get to this week's menu plan!

Wednesday:  Chicken Devan, left over peaches 
Thursday:  Brined chicken (I used the brine ingredients in the duck recipe, but used straight orange juice.  I'm just going to cook the chicken in the crock pot, though), braised turnip greens (from freezer), roasted potatoes. 
Friday:  Ravioli Lasagna (cutting the recipe in 1/2, use ravioli from freezer)  
Saturday (Baking Day!!!):  Beef Stroganoff  (made with ground beef) .  Lunch:  Tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. 
Sunday:  Lunch:  Chicken salad sandwiches (leftover chicken from Thursday).  Dinner:  Leftovers 
Monday:  Beef Roast, bread or rolls (depending on how much I get done on Saturday), mixed veggies.   Note:  Make Lemon Mardi Gras Squares (For Wednesday.  Won't have time later. 
Tuesday:  Crepes with triple berry fruit topping (from pantry), ham (from freezer)

And there you go folks.  My menu plan for the week.  How about you?  Making anything good this week?

2 comments:

  1. Was it generic Ritalin or the name brand? I ask because my husband was crazy on generic Ritalin, but one the doctor insisted on the name brand, it really helped. I guess the generic users cheap fillers that can trigger rage and other symptoms.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son had a friend on Ritilan. When he spent the night, I had to give him the medicine. I could see a ‘veil’ come over his eyes like he was shutting down. He wasn’t special need s just hyper. For him, I think it was overkill. This was the early 90’s. Things have changed quite a bit since then. (I hope!) I hope you and the Dr.’s figure out how to help your son!
    For menu planning, I have usually just winged it. That has led to too much food waste. Now, I write several ideas down, after looking to see what needs using up. I cross them off as we go. Since there’s only two of us, and i’m vegetarian, one meal will sometimes stretch over several days. This week, we’re working through taco’s with black beans and chees as a side, or maybe a small nacho. We have leftover spaghetti and stew. Breakfast for dinner is on the menu as well as some stuffed chicken patties I bought that need to be cooked. When my husband eats the meat dishes, I usually eat leftover soup or vegetarian hamburgers. I’m the one who comes through and eats the little bits that are left. I love breakfast for dinner, though! I am a carb lover and this fills the bill. Plus, anything with syrup is always good, in my opinion!
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete