Wednesday, October 4, 2017

What's for Dinner: This Week's Menu

When it came to the menu plan the last couple of weeks...it went kind of out the window.  With the son's skin being so bad, erratic schedules and things, yes we definitely ate, but for the life of me I can't say it was very exciting.

I got basically none of the baking done that I had planned on when I posted up the last menu plan, so some of that is going onto this week's "menu goals" as I am liking to call them.  I did finally manage to get sugar cookies done the last couple of days and the kids decorated them last night (the son with help from me, but he sure seemed to enjoy himself).  A result of their efforts are seen up top.  I did end up going to the store and trying to find Halloween themed sprinkles to put on the cookies, but couldn't find any.  I did find candy eyeballs that were safe to get with the son's peanut allergy and I had a coupon my mom had given me for 2.00/1.  Still cost me over 2.00 for the package of them, but they did, indeed, make the cookies come out nice and Halloween-like (between that and mixing colors with the food coloring to create some Halloween type of colors...although the purple was the daughter's idea it did make good monsters *laugh*).  Times like this I am happy I took so many art classes to know how to mix colors as the instructions on the box with the food coloring made me flinch.  I mean 20 DROPS of ONE type of food coloring to make a certain color?  Your cookies would taste like food coloring! 

At any rate, I am working hard on making Halloween treats slowly but surely this month (more on that in the Monthly Goals post I'm working on), so at least I can scratch sugar cookies off of my list :).

When it comes to food this week I need to go to the store tomorrow and buy some meat when dividends come in.  All I have for meat, literally, in the freezer right now is chicken and beef roasts and a Thanksgiving turkey.  That's it.  I need to get bacon, maybe some sausages for breakfast dinners...pork in general really and hopefully some fish.  I'll have to see what I can find.  My shopping list of things I need keeps expanding...it's kind of depressing.  I am now completely out of powdered sugar after making icing for the cookies yesterday (thank goodness my sister-in-law had given me some in with the food she gave us or I would have been packing the kids into the car to go and try to find some at 8 o'clock, which would NOT have made my son happy), I went to get baked beans to cook for dinner tonight only to find I was completely out of those as well, black olives are gone (which made taco night last week a bit of a wet blanket)...just ugh.  I am VERY grateful for what we have in the house, don't get me wrong.  It's just one of those things that happen when you live on what you have for so long....still depressing I have to restock them though *laugh*.

So, yeah, here's how the menu plan is shaping up right now.  I am going to bank on the idea that I'm not going to find much in the way of meat at the store (prepare for the worst and hope for the best) and so am going on what I have in the freezers.  So let's get to it, shall we?
Wednesday:  BBQ beef ribs, rolls, chili spiced beans (since we were out of baked beans)

Thursday:  Balsamic Thyme Chicken (crock pot), pasta with carrot pesto, fruit cocktail

Friday:  Beef and Veggies (potatoes, carrots, turnips) in gravy, biscuits

Saturday:  Chicken fried steak (thin slice pieces off of a beef roast for this and Sunday's dinner), mashed potatoes, turnip greens (from freezer).

Sunday:  French dip sandwiches (use other half of thin sliced beef roast for meat), pears (from pantry)

Monday:  Chicken noodle soup with home made noodles

Tuesday:  Chicken enchiladas, Spanish rice, corn

Desserts:  Oatmeal raisin cookies (from freezer), "Spooky" sugar cookies, soft and chewy snickerdoodles (to make), Rhubarb Dream Bars

Snacks:  Cookies and milk (see above for cookie choices), apples, Ants on a Log (celery with Wowbutter and raisins on it), cheese and crackers

6 comments:

  1. Hi your bikkies [cookies] look fantastic. I bet your kids had a wonderful time decorating and eating them.
    I also have special needs kids 3 out of 4 children have Autism.
    Hello from Tasmania Australia
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life can sure get away from us easily. You keep so busy.
    The cookies are just too cute.
    Your menu sounds great!
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cookies! You do such a good job with your menus. I hope you're able to buy the meat you'd like to get.

    I hear you about running our of stuff in the pantry. I've been about three weeks on a food budget. We had gone for a long time just spending whatever we wanted in the grocery store. We thought we should get that under control. We weren't sure what to set it at, so we guessed. I am now thinking that we set it too low. Or I've got to stop buying soda. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute cookies! Purple is a great halloween color.

    I'm making chicken enchiladas too this next week! Also my fav Martha Stewart recpie I've adapted for black bean and tortia cassarolle.

    I hear you on the pantry...it seems I'm always running out of what I want or need, yet I've lots of stuff I'm not sure how to use or use up. I need to do better when I shop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had that happen in September! Everything seemed to run out, even though the freezers could hardly shut and things kept falling off the shelf. How can that be? But, we eat the same foods over and over, and so run out of those foods. Then, the rest is used occasionally, so lasts longer. So, I restocked it. So far, in October, I have not had to buy a single thing. I've set a minimal budget--$50/week, and will still buy groceries--whatever I am running low on that is on a good sale, to avoid such an expenditure again. (It was pretty spendy to fill things up, and I did skip the soda--and chips--bummer for my munchers and slurpers!) I'm also planning a small Costco trip. After we get paid near the middle of the month for my work in September, and pay the rest of the bills, I will know what I can afford there. September was a short check for both me and my husband, so October pay is less than normal, but better than I thought it was going to be. Otherwise, I'd just skip Costco. I could do $25/week if necessary, but it puts a bigger strain on the stockpile than I want to do.

    I love the cookies. They are so cute and I'm sure the kids had a blast. I'll have to see if my nephew wants to make some. He usually waits until 10 minutes before I'm done watching him to say he'd like to cook something. Last Sunday, he gave me about 45 minutes of notice, so we did make krispie treats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love the cookies!! We are planning on making some Halloween goodies on Monday for a Tuesday party. Last year I totally scored tons of free Halloween sprinkles, coloring and eyeballs from a store going out of business. I tucked them away in the Halloween box. Your post reminded me I need to get them out. I also have two boxes of green cookie mix (supposed to be teenage mutant ninja cookies) that I plan to turn into monster cookies. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete