Thursday, May 4, 2017

What's For Dinner: This Week's Menu

So, I finally had an epiphany a few weeks ago.  It seemed that my menu plan seemed to keep going awry right about Wednesday and I couldn't figure out WHY.  Then it hit me.  The reason my menu plan would go off the straight path and start staggering around like a drunkard after Wednesday was because that's when the ad for Carrs would come out, I'd see something really awesome on the loss leaders (like say pork roast is this week) and immediately redo the menu plan if I REALLY wanted to get it so we could have some right away, or I'd run to the store on Wednesday to get a loss leader that was really really cheap and end up getting like some cut of meat on reduced and decide to just make it for dinner instead of worrying about defrosting whatever was ON the menu plan for that night, etc. 

I finally redid my way of doing things a bit by doing the menu for the following week on Wednesday and THAT worked as going from Wednesday to Tuesday...if something is greatly spectacular on sale at Fred Meyer I could still get it and have it for dinner before I'd have to worry about scrambling to put it into the freezer and I could also accommodate things that might go on sale at Carrs.  So, menu plans are going to be a bit out of the norm here on The Make Do Homemaker.  I know normally blogs post up menu plans on Sunday or Monday it seems, but hey the greatness that is the internet knows no bounds and this is the method that is working for me, so I'm going with it ;).

Making meals, snacks and breakfast items at home is going to become even more important here as the cost of fuel (an hour long commute to and from work everyday) on my husband's end are coming through and it is really really depressing (70.00 for fuel every three days about).  Some of that money will be recouped in the fact that my husband isn't eating out for lunch and sometimes breakfast every day while running from one job to another, but it also makes saving money THAT much more important to help offset the cost of the fuel.  Thank goodness the kids are off of school for the summer in a couple of weeks so I won't (hopefully) have to run around too much and thus save fuel costs on my end until we get a handle on the new budget.  Here's hoping anyway.

So, onto this week's menu!

Menu for Week 5/3/17
Wednesday:  Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and gravy, salad

Thursday:  Poor Man's Scotch Broth (recipe coming soon on that one), home made bread and butter

Friday:  Leftover tacos

Saturday:  Home made pizza

Sunday:  Mustard pork roast, baked potatoes, salad

Monday:  Chicken teriyaki (pull left over teriyaki chicken out of freezer), rice, garlic peas

Tuesday:  Knockwurst, home made soft pretzels
Desserts:  Creamy Vanilla Custard Ice Cream (this is awesome and actually makes quite a bit!  We're still eating it!), home made apple pie (we ate it with ice cream...so good!), clafoutis (this I haven't made yet, but am going to make with some canned cherries from the pantry or frozen blueberries...still deciding.  Sounds good, though :).

Breakfasts:  Bran muffins with dates and nuts (baking day for that and the clafoutis is tomorrow since the kids are off school for an in service day), cinnamon rolls (Sunday for the husband for breakfasts for the week at work...I'll use the other 1/2 of the dough to make a loaf of bread), oatmeal (make instant oatmeal packets...we'll see how those go)

Snacks:  Boiled eggs, beef jerky (if I can find an odd or end of beef in the freezer to use to make it)

I'm putting together shopping goals for this month as (of COURSE) we've run out of some essentials that I absolutely 100% need to replenish (oil and rice being two of them) so hopefully I can get that list done and figure out how to fit it into the budget as well.

So, that's what we're eating this week.  How about you folks?  Making anything tasty?

No comments:

Post a Comment