One of the main things that took up my time this week was rearranging the house (again). Heather, one of our blog readers, was really super duper generous and sent me a lot of material (thanks again, Heather!) and I realized that I didn't really have a system of organization for fabric so much as "shove it into whatever hole it'll fit in". So, that started me down the organizing and decluttering rabbit hole. I uncovered loads of old kids clothes that the kids had outgrown in the last year and that I had just put into spaces in closets and things to deal with later. I went through my fabric and figured out what fabric I had used that I didn't like but was holding onto for some reason (fabric shrank about 15 times normal shrinkage rates, etc) and put it into donation bags along with small little remnants of fabric that a quilter would love, but I wouldn't really do anything with other than hold onto in the event that one day I would decide to make a quilt out of them. By the time I went through my kitchen (anything that I hadn't used at LEAST once in the last two years was on the chopping block to get rid of), put the old clothes in the donation bags and things the used store was thrilled to get a big load of stuff :).
I then took the one Closetmaid unit we have that has I think pretty much travelled around the entire house by this point, and grabbed it out of my son's closet. I then moved it downstairs into the den, moved my antique dresser upstairs into my son's room to house his weighted blanket and spare sheets, and then started folding and arranging fabric and organizing sewing things better. The final results are above. I am super happy with how it all turned out and for the first time in my married life I can actually SEE what I have for fabric now. And double bonus? My son can't rock the rocking chair back into the wall anymore because he hits fabric bolts instead. Love it!!!!
Total cost to make? A .25 yard sale frame that I have reused about fifteen times now for home decor stuff, the needle book came in a desk full of stuff when we moved into our old house, the patterns were .10 a piece at the thrift store and the other sewing notions my step-mom sent me. Even the scrap booking paper used for the background was given to me by my sister-in-law in a scrapbooking kit she gave me for Christmas years ago. So, all totaled for less than 1.00 this thing got made :).
This week's goals are all over the place, honestly as I'm trying to get some things done before it gets too hot again and I have a lot of cleaning and organizing that I still want to get done. So, it's going to be busy.
- Clean ceiling fans
- Scrub son's room
- Shampoo carpets, especially downstairs carpets
- Work on camper if kids let me
- Continue to watch garden and tend to seedlings.
- Thin lettuce plants significantly to try and deter slugs (I did that this morning. So many slugs killed. It was gross)
- Thin Swiss Chard back to the last two plants that aren't bolting (did that today too). Blanch and freeze chard that is picked.
- Continue to harvest peas and raspberries.
- Can cherries
- Can rhubarb (this and the cherries are a time and weather permitting type of thing as they ARE in the freezer right now and safe from spoilage)
- Work on Christmas gifts (I've got a set plan on finishing a gift this week if I can find time to get it done)
- Continue to work on rearranging kitchen/pantry areas.
- Get up earlier if possible to work on things before the kids get up (every SINGLE time I make this goal my son doesn't sleep and puts an end to the idea, but we'll see how it goes).
- Make erbswurst and pretzels for husband's birthday. Oh and cake, of course *laugh*.
- Make a menu plan. I have slacked off on this and the indecision on what to have is driving me nuts in the evening.