I finished mending the quilt I got a while back. About 1/2 way through mending the quilt I went from calling her, "old gal" to "Stitches" as she really is a good portion of mending stitches at this point. I gave up on the embroidery for now as some of the quilt is kind of weak in the material, so I am going to concern myself more with finding material that would work as a mending fabric should said fabric give finally instead of embroidering the quilt.
The shot above is one of the average panels on Stitches about 1/2 way through mending the panel. This was a pretty big mending job! Even the edges had seams that gave way over time. Whoever made the quilt didn't really allow themselves too big of a seam allowance and they just weakened over time and gave from the looks of it. Someone before me had done a lot of mending to the quilt as well, but at some point had given up mending the quilt and just let it go South.
And now here is Stitches in her new home on the back of the couch. I think she looks really nice there :).
3. I tore my son's bed completely apart, vacuumed his mattress well and scrubbed it down with some heavy duty cleaning agents to kill any wayward spores or anything that might be on it anywhere (son is really allergic to mold right now). I also moved the bed around temporarily so that I could shampoo where he bed had a couple of times to get ground in things out of his carpet. Moving the room back is on the goals for this week.
4. I got my husband through his dental appointment, which has led to a lot of monetary anxiety on my part the last little bit as I'm trying to figure out how to suck blood from a rock right now with how many reduced hours my husband has been working. But, I am glad that they managed to save his tooth instead of having to pull it, so I'm definitely looking at the bright side on that one.
Other than finishing mending the quilt, I honestly didn't get any of my sewing goals done, although I did darn a few socks at the dentist office.
So, onto the goals for this week.
- Scrub walls in son's room and clean ceiling fan well.
- Try and scrub walls in daughter's room and organize toys better (weed).
- Shampoo downstairs carpets.
- Vacuum master bedroom mattress.
- Make and can apple pie filling
- Make orange marmalade and can.
- Can other things if I find time.
- Get soil out of yard to fill planters.
- Plant seeds that need to be started indoors.
- Plant seeds that can be directly sewed into soil that are rated for decently cold weather (as it's still frosting at night pretty regularly still).
- If it can be swung, plant seeds in planters and figure out where to place them on the back deck this summer (as the spider mites are officially back...found them crawling up the side of the house already and had to spread Diatomaceous Earth around the perimeter of the house and I'm figuring up on the second floor is hopefully going to be safer for the planters then sitting in the yard).
- Take first pressure canner to Cooperative Extension Service for testing (I have an American Standard pressure cooker that my husband found in an abandoned building that was left over from a yard sale at some point in time, so I want to see if they can test it to see if I can use it as an actual pressure cooker without buying a bunch of parts for it). Talk to cooperative extension service about grants or other things that might help us out in expanding our garden.
- Make trip to home improvement store to make returns.
- Work on system for mending husband's recliner.
- Work on sewing goals if I can find time (I'm really thinking I'm going to be busy with other things this week, though).
- Work on Goals and Shopping Goals (of which there will be extreme minimum of those) for May.