Once again, this month I'm going to be focusing on primarily shopping my freezer and pantry as much as I can. The freezer is starting to slowly shrink as I'm using it's contents from day to day (same with the pantry), which makes me nervous, but I can't help it at this point. We need to shop as little as possible to conserve money, so that's what I'm doing.
So, this month's shopping goals are really pretty simple. I'm not sure if I'll accomplish them all, but we shall see.
I'm running somewhat low on fruit as time goes on as I'm using canned fruit to avoid buying fresh, so I'm going to try and get a flat of fruit each month over the next couple to see if I can keep on top of the loss before it gets troublesome.
I also decided to add salt to my list this month as I've found making our bread, baking our treats and cooking all of our meals at home is making me kind of blow through salt. So, I've decided adding it to the list is probably wise.
Normally in the fall I use a ketchup based BBQ sauce recipe I have to can our BBQ sauce for the entire year, but ketchup has become so expensive (I have to be picky at the type I use because of my children's sensitivities and such) that I was worried about the cost associated with making it this year. Luckily, Carrs gave me a Just 4 U personalized price on BBQ sauce a couple of times this month for Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce, so I managed to buy 4 jars for .98 a piece. I'm going to try to pick up more condiments with my regular grocery shopping if I can swing it this month to pick up at least enough to supplement home canned goods for the rest of the year.
Shopping Goals for June
- 1 bulk bag of salt
- 1 Flat of fruit cocktail
- Spice and Sauce Packets (if possible in budget) to make my husband's life easier when he wants to make himself something to eat.
- BBQ Sauce (if the sale price goes for .99 or less)
- Mayonnaise (1 container), ketchup (4 containers) if target prices are reached.
- 3 containers of garlic stuffed olives (my son has discovered that this is one of the "real food" items that he likes, so I'm having to budget out for these. They are 6.99 per jar)
- Lemon juice. I need this for canning coming up, for use in iced tea and other things.
And that is it in the way of food. I decided to work non-food shopping goals into my list this month too, so...
Non-Food Shopping Goals
- Adding Machine Tape (my husband managed to find me a used adding machine for 5.00 for when I do the books, but I need tape to make sure it works well. I've been shopping the used stores for this, but so far no luck).
- Use Amazon giftcard from Swagbucks to buy daughter a Fancy Nancy book toward Christmas gifts (here's hoping I can find one really cheap on Amazon).