Sunday, June 21, 2015

Monthly Goal Update and This Week's Goals

Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there!

Well I can safely say *holds finger aloft with purpose* that I got next to NOTHING done on my weekly goal list last week.   Please, please, hold the applause.

Seriously though, between the head cold, then the antibiotics and then the heat, I was happy to just get through the week.  Luckily, the heat has broken a bit now, although the humidity is high, but no rain as of yet, so I am kind of grumpy as I go out to water the garden when it keeps looking like it is going to rain.

I slept later today than I have in a long time and was still dragging myself out of bed when I got up, so I'm hoping that means I'm going to start doing better here as I am, whether I like it or not, getting rest.

I manged to get a few minor things done on my monthly goals this week, anyway.

1.  I finished my current embroidery project (seen up top).  The doily was a stamped kit I found at the used store, but without thread or instructions, just the stamped cloth.  So, I thought it might be fun to do.  I made my own color pattern and went with it.

Three weeks later, doing the work  on and off during my son's therapies and such and I finally got it done this week since one of the few things I was up to doing was sitting on my behind.

I have to say, as kits go this was harder than I thought it would be.  Mainly because the cloth was so loosely woven compared to what I like to work with when I do my own embroidery projects.  The thread kept getting lost among the woven fabric so I'd have to do the same line of stem stitch two or three times in places to have the work show up.

Overall:  I like the finished project.  Will I be doing another kit like this?  Probably not.

It does make a nice landing platform for my desk lamp though, so I'm not complaining.

2.  I cleaned out some more on my hallway closet and placed my tablecloths and what few cloth napkins I have in the closet for easy access (obviously it still needs work).  I've still got a ways to go on the pantry and hallway closet areas.  My final plan, I hope, is to move all of my food based things down into the pantry and then use my hallway closet as  linen cabinet, a mini appliance barn and a spot to put extra fabric for my sewing projects (more on that later).

3.  I ended up tearing down my entire cloth storage area in my sewing area in my den because my husband found a TV/stereo/turntable cabinet that he really liked for 30.00 at a garage sale today.  My husband and I both love vintage things, but my husband is way more into vintage electronics than I am (but, hey I'm way more into vintage dishes than he is so it's all good).  There had been a stereo/turntable cabinet at a used store that was going out of business last year for 75.00 that ended up getting away from him because we didn't have the money and he's regretted it ever since, so when we saw that cabinet at the yard sale for 30.00 I couldn't say no to getting it.

I've got to redo my den this week to see if I can clean out the final destination area for said stereo cabinet cleaned out (under where we hang out coats in the den) so I can set back up my sewing area, but even when I set it back up, I've got to get a better system of organization going for the sewing area as it was looking kind of bad with things just stacked anywhere there was room, etc.  It'll be a challenge for this week as we have a ton of stuff in the den right now that I've already gotten out of the 40' van in preparation for a yard sale, so space in the den is most definitely limited.

4.  I managed to sew a second table cloth this week and got it folded and put away.

5.  I did manage to prune the tomato plants and they are looking nice.


So, here are this week's goals:

1.  Get sewing area set back up and organized better.

2.  Make some dish towels.

3.  Make some cloth napkins.

4.  Make handkerchiefs for daughter.

5.  Start on husband's birthday gift.

6.   Work on curtains for son's room.

7.  Work on mucking out 40' van and prepare for yard sale.

8.  Bake bread and cookies.

9.  Hopefully reorder time and space to find time to make jam, weather permitting.

10.  Plant turnip seeds where other 3 potatoes did not grow (the package says 50 days to harvest...we'll test that theory).

And there you are folks.  My goals for this week.  How did your week go?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds to me like you got a lot accomplished this week despite you feeling crappy. Love seeing all your photos. .

    ReplyDelete